Week 1 – Organizational Session (2017)KAM
KAM’s Agenda is On the Move
The Kentucky Association of Manufacturers (KAM) has supported and spoken in favor of both Right-to-Work and Prevailing Wage Repeal over the years, both before Legislative committees and in private conversations with legislators, as we believed that their adoption would enhance economic development in the Commonwealth.
After the action of the General Assembly and the Governor last week, the adoption of those measures will become reality. In the first week of the session the legislature passed:
- House Bill 1 – Right-To-Work – Makes membership in a labor union optional instead of mandatory for workers at unionized workplaces.
- House Bill 3 – Repeal Prevailing Wage – This bill will remove a guaranteed base wage to construction workers on certain public works projects.
When Speaker Hoover took the gavel on Tuesday, it gave Republicans control of both legislative chambers and the Governor’s mansion, paving the way for action on these two critical issues.The Republican majority in each Chamber wasted no time passing seven bills–including Right to Work and Prevailing Wage Repeal–and sending them to the Governor in the first week of the session. Because all seven bills had emergency clauses, they will all become effective immediately once signed by the Governor, which is expected to take place today.
The first week of the General Assembly was quite historic and certainly got the 2017 General Assembly off to a quick start to improve Kentucky’s business climate. There is, however, more work to be done and KAM will be there to advocate for your interests when lawmakers return on February 7 for the final 25 legislative days.
Keeping You Informed
As in past years, we will continue to communicate with you weekly with bill tracking lists on the KAM Homepage (www.KAM.us.com), summaries of legislative actions and dynamics, and specific bills of interest. We will also, of course, contact you immediately as issues of particular interest or concern arise.
We will also resume our KAM Conversation Conference Calls on Thursday, February 9, at 4:00 EST, and invite KAM Members to call and take part in this dialog every Thursday during the 2017 Legislative Session. The information for the call is:
- Call-in Number: 877-746-4263
- Participant Code: 0219774#
Calendar & Key Dates
You can access the session calendar here and the committee meeting schedule here. Please keep in mind that this calendar can change if the legislature decides to shift days. We will let you know if that happens; however, they must adjourn by March 30, according to the Constitution. Below are specific dates of interest.
- February 7th – Working session convenes
- February 8th – State of the Commonwealth Address by Governor Bevin
- February 17th – Last day for new Senate bills
- February 20th – Legislative Holiday (Presidents’ Day)
- February 21st – Last day for new House bills
- March 10th and 13th – Legislative Holidays
- March 14th and 15th – Concurrence Days
- March 16th – 27th – Veto Recess
- March 28th – Legislative Holiday
- March 29th – Reconvene
- March 30th – Sine Die
Meet the KAM Governmental Affairs Team here.